Sunday, February 18, 2007

Ever dream, in your sleep or drift off into space as in "daydreaming", about something and lordy lo, it becomes real? Somebody oughta write a how-to book on including some practical logic to one's dreaming activities. Like the time when I daydreamed that it was just horrible about how many auto accidents we are plagued with and we'd all be safer if the roads, cars, barriers, and other roadside hazards were all made out of rubber. The soft kind. It was right around that time when my young mind, unduly impressed by auto manufacturers' TV commercials of their newest additions, mused that "automatics" (as in vehicles with automatic transmissions) described a situation where the driver would be able to navigate the car by putting on a crown-like electronic cap and cerebrally control every movement of the car.

The only adult that I shared that innocent daydream with brushed me off by saying, "that's not very realistic, Alex". No, that wasn't my old man. 'Course, I didn't dare offer up another dream I'd had, this time about saving gasoline AND reducing highway accidents. The dream went like this: You'd be driving up from your neighborhood to a centrally-located area next to the freeway, slowly lining up in one of 16 lanes, turning-on your car's electronic "magnetic" sensor that emitted a coded message of where you were going (as in Broadway and 25th street intersection) and your car would be coupled to a powerful invisible energy train headed to the correct destination. Logical? My overriding concern dealt with the question of whether I could pull out my comic book and read and not have to keep eyes on the road.

The central point about all of this is that quite often now, news items keep popping up about how scientists are developing, in break-neck fashion, technology that will allow all sorts of new "practical" uses. The dreamers keep pushing the outer limits, pooh-boohing the ultra-narrow adherents of "logical" activity. Alright, so its still too early to think about super-energy commuter trains guided and synchronized by brainwaves. Please don't tell anyone that I even mentioned here in this blog, I'm still embarrassed about the automatic transmissions thing. Did I ever tell you about the time that I started a little novelette, fiction of course, and the circumstances begin to sort've ... happen? Ah, I'll keep that quiet, I swear.

At the end of every post, I'll try to recommend to all of you (the one or two poor souls who landed on this site entirely by accident or a careless search query), a song, or an album (CD for everybody under 84 years), a picture, an art piece, or poem (shoot, maybe a bud's blog or something), that you might enjoy as I did. Today, its an album that I hadn't replayed for over 30 years: "All Things Must Pass", by George Harrison. www.allthingsmustpass.com Ah, there's a passion-filled story related to the time of that album's debut ... man, I'll have to change a lot names, places, and things to avoid a letter from some eager legal libel beagle!

Papa, wherever you are, I love you.

Alejandro

1 comment:

M said...

Hola my friend! You write about many interesting things. My condolences on the loss of your father--I'm sure he can still hear all your music! Love, Michelle.

Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime (The Korgis)

Alone Again, Naturally

Magic ... rarely are the stars aligned - - - Olivia Newton John

Dusk in Yucatan

Dusk in Yucatan
Harmony Concepts, photograph 01